Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Free to Play

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Free to Play

    If you haven't received the email, the game is going ftp soon. When I've logged in recently I did notice a decline in players hanging around the place, so I guess they had to do something.

    It's all a bit sad really, we saw the start of the MMO phenomena and I think we'll may see the end. Well... maybe not the end but definately a swing completely away from old values that mattered to the definition "MMO". If I can be f'ed I'l type up a rant about old versus new one day
    sigpic

  • #2
    Re: Free to Play

    I quite like FTP (if implemented responsibly).
    While previously I had been happy to pay a subscription, I just cant justify it these days. With FTP I can purchase quest packs, or character slots (or however they plan to do it) and work through these in my own time, without feeling the pressure to get my monies worth.
    You're right it is the end of an era, but I suspect the new era suits my available time far better than the old era did.

    I'm looking forward to revisiting Rift, it was a great game. I do know they have the potential to get future money from me, which wasn't the case under a sub model.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Free to Play

      I love FTP, no pressure to get my money's worth. Having said that I've still got an Eve sub and I don't see that ever going FTP. My character in eve was created in 2003 and I've had a sub for a good part of that time. So if the game is a good sandbox a sub works, but most of the mmos now are just theme parks and get boring really quickly.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks for the heads up I didn't receive an email

        Looking forward to it



        FFXIV : Kernos - Scholar
        EQ : Cernos (Sikkem)- Beastlord
        GW2 : Kernos - Ranger
        Rift : Kernos - Rogue

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Free to Play

          Is the guild still on Laethys? If so can I get an invite at some point? I don't expect I will play this alot, but will poke my head in from time to time.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Free to Play

            ya same as Khelud

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Free to Play

              Yes, Laethy's. Just about anyone should be able to invite, nobody has been playing much though I'll log in and check shortly.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Free to Play

                The 2.3 expansion that came with the f2p launch was a pretty big one with a bunch of changes including a new zone, a new 10 man raid zone, a new chronicle and other stuff. For the casual player in Rift who is not into raiding there is a lot of content. For anyone invovled in raiding it basically introduced a whole new level of faction grinding to get BIS gear / essences etc. I like Rift, but it is increasingly coming dangerously close to becoming far too much of a grindfest in many aspects of the game. Haven't played any games f2p before, and from what I have seen so far Rift appears to be avoiding the "pay-to-win" sort of mindset - the best gear etc cannot be purchased. There are lots of fluff items, quality of life items, recipes etc and some good gear upgrades for the casual player (though not raid quality) if you want to pay for that stuff.

                TL;DR - if you are want to jump back in and play casually, and for free, Rift will have plenty to keep you busy. If you want to get into raiding - beware !

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Free to Play

                  I actually came back to rift a few days ago after hearing about the f2p thing. My bf and I are playing on Threesprings with some friends.

                  Strangely enough I had to make a new account with my email, so all my old stuff is gone. no record of purchase, no CE mount, complete f2p restrictions with only 2 char slots and 2 bags. I'm trying to get it restored through support, but the original email they sent me of my purchase in 2011 had no receipt #... and that CC doesn't exist anymore, and now I live in germany. This is gonna be interesting...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Free to Play

                    I loaded up my account last night and got my first DING in god knows how long. Was even still in the guild!!

                    Playing as Wayah the 20th level cleric.

                    Had fun just roflstomping thing and closing rifts and fighting back invasions.
                    Rift Wayah, Cleric
                    GW2 Haars Ironfist, Warrior
                    EQ Avia Dark Elf Enchanter, Tribunal -- Katri Moonrise Wood Elf Druid, Tribunal

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Free to Play

                      Just looked up my last post of Rift, over 2 years ago! Where does all the time go!

                      [The Secret World, SWTOR, GW2....]
                      Rift Wayah, Cleric
                      GW2 Haars Ironfist, Warrior
                      EQ Avia Dark Elf Enchanter, Tribunal -- Katri Moonrise Wood Elf Druid, Tribunal

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Free to Play

                        Originally posted by Melodius View Post
                        I actually came back to rift a few days ago after hearing about the f2p thing. My bf and I are playing on Threesprings with some friends.

                        Strangely enough I had to make a new account with my email, so all my old stuff is gone. no record of purchase, no CE mount, complete f2p restrictions with only 2 char slots and 2 bags. I'm trying to get it restored through support, but the original email they sent me of my purchase in 2011 had no receipt #... and that CC doesn't exist anymore, and now I live in germany. This is gonna be interesting...
                        If you are able to, call them rather than dealing with their email system rubbish. That way, they can sit with you until they cover a satisfactory amount of verification requests. They are very responsive and I didn't have to wait on hold at all. (I had to get my authenticator removed from my account as I no longer had the iPhone in question.)

                        - Feysteel reverent boots now correctly equip on your feet, not your head.



                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Free to Play

                          Originally posted by Devoran View Post
                          If you are able to, call them rather than dealing with their email system rubbish. That way, they can sit with you until they cover a satisfactory amount of verification requests. They are very responsive and I didn't have to wait on hold at all. (I had to get my authenticator removed from my account as I no longer had the iPhone in question.)
                          I did manage to get it fixed. I forgot how long I waited for actually...
                          I moved my mage over AN's new server, but actually ended up playing fresh characters up to the 20s or so. Buuut, I got bored :P

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Free to Play

                            All patched up. Wifi on my laptop was flooding and dropping out requiring me to switch the wifi on and off to get it back going. Was downloading at 4-5MB/s which is higher then I used to be able to do.

                            Laptop prob rather than Optus this time :-)
                            Rift Wayah, Cleric
                            GW2 Haars Ironfist, Warrior
                            EQ Avia Dark Elf Enchanter, Tribunal -- Katri Moonrise Wood Elf Druid, Tribunal

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Free to Play

                              Originally posted by Melodius View Post
                              I did manage to get it fixed. I forgot how long I waited for actually...
                              I moved my mage over AN's new server, but actually ended up playing fresh characters up to the 20s or so. Buuut, I got bored :P
                              Teach me to read original post dates! haha.. thought you posted that today.

                              Had the same experience with RIFT - tried it on again for a month or so but it got boring fast.

                              - Feysteel reverent boots now correctly equip on your feet, not your head.



                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X