SWG shutting down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWG shutting down

Official servers will go offline forever on December 15.

Announcement: http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/p...pic_id=1220357

Raph Koster reflects: http://www.raphkoster.com/2011/06/24...shutting-down/
    TR Tale. Sapper. Orion WoW Morven. Alliance Druid. Proudmoore
    SWG Tale. Doctor Carbineer. Valcyn AO Tale. Solitus Bureaucrat, Rimor
    EQ Grozzer. Troll Warrior. Tribunal EQ Elat. High Elf Enchanter. Tribunal
    SubSpace Tale. Powerball Betas TR VG WoW SWG AO AC SubSpace

Re: SWG shutting down

Ahh what could have been....

- Feysteel reverent boots now correctly equip on your feet, not your head.

Comment

Man, some of those people's comments...

What game did these people play? I know Groz didn't mind it as he stuck around the longest.

For me it was the worse MMO ever!!

Though, had some good features like the crafting side.

Comment

I guess the real reason is that Lucas Arts won't renew the licence because they can't really have 2 Star Wars MMO's running at the same time.
        sigpic

Comment

I had some good memories there just dancing on my slutty alien ... thing... and people throwing me money...
          yeah...

I don't really remember that much, tbh

PS: that doesn't make me sound slutty at all, so shut up

Comment

Think I had more fun on the game in beta then I did in retail. I tried going back at one stage but the whole skill/class thing had changed.

It had potential. They just didn't capitalise on it.

Most fun I had was hunting with the AN crew though.
            Rift Wayah, Cleric
            GW2 Haars Ironfist, Warrior
            EQ Avia Dark Elf Enchanter, Tribunal -- Katri Moonrise Wood Elf Druid, Tribunal

Comment

I joined AN with SWG. Man it was a blast. And then the skill changes happened to make the whole game crap.
              RIP SWG!

Comment

I missed out on the start of Ultima Online because I was playing SubSpace (strategy-action Asteroids-style MMOG). Then I went travelling overseas for 15 months and came back into the EverQuest hype. I loved EQ1, but the two two MMOGs I liked best were made by UO's creators: SWG and Tabula Rasa. And both failed!

In original-flavour SWG I loved the medical crafting and team PvP, despite the bugs and unfinished features. I think I combined crafting and PvP differently to anyone else: I harvested all the best resources myself instead of buying them, made the best possible buffs and heals/cures in my lab, mass-produced them in my factory and used them to sway team PvP battles. All overt imperials were entitled to free buffs from me. Coverts were asked to donate. I refused to buff Rebels. I was able to fund this by crafting lower-level stimpacks for sale on the open market. I never got rich, but I enjoyed making a difference instead of sitting on my arse charging 10k for buffs.

Months after AN disbanded, I met Renraku, a hardcore Imperial PvP guild led by Tigole's former Legacy of Steel crew from EQ1. That was the tightest, friendliest guild I've ever been in outside of AN. We had a fortified player city layed out to create dead-ends where we could trap Rebels, red-and-black uniform armour, and we staged mass PvP raids on Rebel cites, battles that went for hours. That's where our l33t crafting and tactical drills kicked in - they'd get their Combat Medics to poison/disease us and assume we were going to drop dead, but we'd swing back for one-shot cures and kill them instead, then destroy their player bases (which meant actual cash loss in SWG). Never quite found that again.

Then there was the Imperial roleplaying guild Alpha Company that played alongside us. You couldn't even talk to them out-of-character - they WERE stormtroopers and they played PvP teams. There was a whole player-run RP storyline going on. The devs sent Vader himself to inspect them, I posted about it on F13 and it made Slashdot. Good times. RIP original-flavour SWG, dead many years.
                TR Tale. Sapper. Orion WoW Morven. Alliance Druid. Proudmoore
                SWG Tale. Doctor Carbineer. Valcyn AO Tale. Solitus Bureaucrat, Rimor
                EQ Grozzer. Troll Warrior. Tribunal EQ Elat. High Elf Enchanter. Tribunal
                SubSpace Tale. Powerball Betas TR VG WoW SWG AO AC SubSpace

Comment

Working...
                X